worldcreator

"Jolting the brain fights deep depression"

Jeeez! :shock:

Definition

Deep brain stimulation is a highly experimental neurosurgical treatment for chronic depression in which the brain is stimulated with electrical impulses. Although it's been approved for several other conditions, deep brain stimulation hasn't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for depression treatment and is in the early stages of research. Requiring brain surgery, deep brain stimulation is the most invasive form of brain stimulation treatment for depression.

Deep brain stimulation works much like a pacemaker for your brain. With deep brain stimulation, a neurostimulator device is implanted in your chest and electrodes are implanted in your brain. Wires under your skin connect the electrodes to the neurostimulator. The neurostimulator sends electrical signals to your brain, affecting mood centers and possibly improving depression symptoms.

Makes ETS look like a walk in the park!! Eeeek. :!:

I think that I'd prefer an ocassional sky dive to jolt my brain chemicals, instead. Nothing like dropping from a plane to put my world in perspective. :?

Or even ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) sounds pretty good, instead. :?

Incidentally, I've just finished reading a book that reminded me of this brain implant procedure. It was a procedure done for a patient with severe Parkinson's. Let's just say that things didn't go too well and the patient was left paralyzed... Months later, his relatives were shocked to discover that their loved one's case had been deemed as a success.

BTW...I could never sky dive...unless I had to jump because the plane was burning or crashing... :oops: