Sign in to follow this  
kungfumonkey

Homemade Iontophoresis

If anybody is interested, I am going to design an iontophoresis machine that will be very inexpensive to build at around $40 (US). I think it's ridiculous that companies charge so much money for something that helps people. I think we can do it cheaper and tailor it to our needs. I look forward to everyone's input.

Here's the idea:

• -It will have two tubs, or pans if you will. One for the right hand / foot, and one for the left hand / foot. This will allow the hands or feet to be completely submerged in water to give even treatment throughout the entire surface area of the skin.
    -It will output as much power as the Drionic and it will be adjustable too. I have bought the drionic and used it. I liked it. It worked. The only problem was that it left my hands with patches of dry skin. The rest of my hands were unaffected. It didn't even work on my feet at all. I bought it cash and it was expensive.
    -It will look presentable. The electronic components will be concealed in a box. There will be an "on" light. There will be an "intensity" or power dial/knob.
    -It will not require a prescription or whatever because I will build it, test it, and put the plans on here so you all can build it and test it. I will find stores online with part numbers so you all can get the exact parts you need.
    -It will be cheap, and it will work. I'm tired of the exact opposite. I'm sure you all are too.

Please post suggestions/ideas here so everyone can get involved. You'd be surprised that even a crazy sounding idea is a good one.

I'd like to see ideas like, "Could we make one with gloves, so I can use my hands instead of leaving them in plastic tubs of water? I hate getting used to uncomfortable methods of treatment." Wouldn't that be awesome! How about, "Put a power meter on it so I can see how much power's coming out." Maybe, "Put hydraulics, subs and a light kit on it." - just kidding... Anyway, we can figure it out together and make it work.

I can't wait to see how this turns out. There will be many pictures to come...

If you are a guest and just browsing, please don't be afraid to register. It's easy and we need your input too!

The only problem I have is knowing what Voltage is used. On the back of my Idrostar it says 43V/1000Ohms max. But the actual voltage could be much lower.

Also another concern for me would be whther there is any danger of using electricity near plastics, maybe some harmful chemicals are released?

Same for the electrode plates, mine are stainless steel, I have seen others of aluminium and nickel free stailess steel. If you buy say alu or stainless from a hardware store, how do you know the exact compositon of the metal adn is it safe?

Other than those points I'm interested as I'm sure others are. 8)

You're absolutely right. The thing about DIY-ers is, they want to get straight to the point and make it work! I know because I love making stuff work. The real problem is doing it right and playing it safe.

With iontophoresis, everything in the water that can fit under your skin will. I was concerned about using aluminum a while back because of all the scares about getting Alzheimer's from aluminum. I still don't know if that's true or not, but the only thing I want going under my skin is water deposits like calcium - not metals...

I'll do some research about harmful plastics and metals...

Calcium is also a metal, so its whether waht goes into the skin is harmful, not whether is is metal or not. http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Ca/chem.html

I know that you can get aluminium plates for the Idromed machine. Even though I think the Alzeihmers (spelling? :lol:) is prob a scare story I'd rather stick with stainless steel.

According to Hyper hyrdo (no longer here but on social phobia world) his SS plates corroded quickly, however my SS plates on my Idrostar have not corroded at all. Obviously they must be using different sypes of SS.

Great idea! I'm sure there are alot of people out there (including myself) who would really benefit from this. Please let us know your progress as I am very interested.

Just a couple of questions.

Were you planning on using batteries or a transformer? For a DIY job I would feel safer with batteries.

Will it have a current limiter? I think iontophoresis only uses 15ma max so I would feel safer if the current was limited to this.

Thanks!!!

Any update on this?

I am considering buying an iontophoresis unit, but the price seems high for such a simple design. The basics include two electrodes and some way to measure and adjust the current.

As for the metal, that's just a matter of finding a good supplier. I doubt that the companies that make these machines actually vigorously inspect the quality of their metal pads anyway.

I'm pretty sure they do check before manufacturing. It's a medical device, so the metal will have to conform to some regulations. Metals come in various compositions, you don't want any toxic metals to be in your plates. JUst buying stainless steel from a hardware store could be dangerous, as you probably don't know whats actually in it.

This is a great idea. I actually was planning to build one myself as my master's thesis project revolves around electrophysiology. It's actually quite simple to build one of these devices and also very safe as it uses DC current as opposed to AC. As for voltages, typically 50V is the max level used. Since the electrodes are quite large the skin impedance presented to the device should be very low (under 1kohms)

Hi, I am from Singapore. None of the products here are available in Singapore. Either I buy off the web site or I have to make my own.

I have only 1 question, what voltage do I need? I tried using a 24 DC >300 mAmps but I don't feel anything. Any suggestion?

Hi, I just wish to share my experience here. I have yet to secure a iontophoresis machine but I tried out using a normal electronic massage machine and placing the pads on my palms. (dry)

After 10 days, I thought I am getting some result but alas, I was wrong. I sweat just as bad after my trip oversea. I am now back home and I now place the electrode prodes into 2 plastic containers filled with water. I am still on my 5 days trial and as reported by many, it usually takes about 10 days to see result.

I will update if indeed it help before I serously consider a proper iontophoresis machine.

Hi, it is me again. Today will be my 10th day trying out using my method but honestly speaking, I didn't notice any improvement at all.

I just went over to the local hardware store to purchase the following items.

A 240 AC to 24 DC 800 mA adaptor, a 240 AC to 12 V DC 800 mA adaptor, 2 nos of crocodile clips, a pair of twin cable and 2 stainless steel tray.

I will try the 24 Volt DC adaptor and if it is too strong, I will switch the the 12 Volt. Will update again if this work.

Dear all,

Yes, you can make you own iontophoresis machine, no question about this. Whatever brand out there, it is basically a step down transformer sending low current to the water. The intensity knob is basically adjusting the voltage thus controlling the current through you body. It you wish to do that, you need a control circuit but that is a bit more difficult.

You just has to decide how much you want to 'feel', from 6 to 24 Volt. But I won't recommend anything exceeding 24 volt. If you are not technically savvy, then go for rechargeable batteries.

Now, how to make the machine? this gentleman has a video to show you step by step

Now the part on making your own machine is done. Will this work? I am testing it out today. If this thing don't work for me, I don't think any other brand would honestly.

Hi fellow HH members. Yesterday was my 4th day of treatment using this 'Home-made' device.

From my observation, the sweating seems to have reduced quite a fair bit. I am quite confident to say it is at least 50% better now. But, it is still too early to say this works for me. Will update you guys again.

I am hopeful my experience can help those without access to the proper iontophoresis machine or just can't afford to purchase them can still treat it using simple self made device.

Dear guys, after 'treatment' for the past 6 days. 15 mins and then swtch polarity for another 15 mins per 'treatment'. I am experiencing about 80% dryness on my palms.

I am unable to tell if further 'teatment' would improve but I am satisfied at 80%. Of course I intend to continue till I am almost 100% before I reduce to maintenance course. I think I will then try alternate days once 100% is achieved.

My big plan is also to do my legs together with my palms. Need to get the proper trays for my legs first.

For those who wish to try and have any questions, I will try my best to answer them. Good luck.

Hi, It's great you find it working for you but I'm concerned about the fact you got the trays from a hardware store. You probably have no idea about the composition of the trays (appologies if you do), there could be toxic metals present in small quantities. Unless you know there are no dangerous metals in the trays I wouldn't be too happy about zapping anything into my body.

Although the 'trays' are stainless steel. I really don't know the composition and whether there will be side effects. On the same note, those plates that come with the device, do they buy them off the shelves too?

With the stainless steel trays, I have reduced the voltage to 12 volts. It seems the conductivity is better thus the current stronger. I started with 12 volts since Saturday and I am about 90% dry. Somehow, the reduced voltage has affected the 'treatment' somewhat.

For those not too sure, do go for plastic trays and batteries for a starter.

Yes, most household ELCB (earth leakage circuit breaker) is rated at 0.03 amps. Or 30 mAmps. Anything above this rating is considered dangerous.

I am now using 12 Volt d.c and the ampere is 6.7 mAmps (note it is mini Amphere not amps).

Pesonnally, I feel that 24 volt is more effective than 12 Volt. With 24 Volt, you will be working on 13.4 mAmps.

Just to update, when I stopped for 5 days, I can feel sweating creeping back. So still need to do 'maintenance' treatment mostly likely twice a week or more.

On the same note, those plates that come with the device, do they buy them off the shelves too?

I gues syou mean a bought machine. Machines for sale will have been thouroughly tested and checked according to all sorts of standard I don't actually know about. um examples could be the european safety standard or kite mark.

Just wish to do some update here. I switched to 12 volts and noticed the effectiveness period reduced. 24 volts seem better but you must be able to withstand the initial current.

A rough idea the current flowing through you body. At 12 V, you likely to receive between 5 to 8 mA. For 24 V, that will be double. So my conclusion, the higher the current, it is more effective.

Hi there, I thought it may be good to update you guys after these breaks. Yes, I am still treating myself to the home made machine and I have managed to extend it to 6 days interval. When I try going for 7 or 8 days, the tips and upper section of the fingers start to sweat.

After 8 days without treatment, about 10 - 15% sweating is back. Looks like this is a life time treatment but it is all worth it. All it takes is half an hour every 6 days. I can live with that.

From my experiments, the highest current is about 15 mA and you only need 15 mins then change the polarity. If you suffer cuts, don't dip the wounds in the water!

I would much rather build a machine than purchase one, mainly because I love to build things. I agree with the others on the plates though. Even if there are no standards for the plates manufacturers use, there are lawyers. I assure you that every company has chosen a specific material for thier plates.

There are a few options here. The easiest would be to determine the exact plates manufacturers use. We could then source our own plates of the same quality. Another option would be to find a Chemistry teacher to help out. They could probably help in determining the plates that are used, and any benefits of different types of plates.

For now I am going to get a Drionic. I will use it, and take it apart to get ideas for a home built system.

Hi there are many DIY on how you can replace the plate in the Drionic machine too. Basically, the web site recommend zinc plate.

One way to over come it is to use plastic trays and put zinc plates just like the Drionic machine. However, I noticed the current is lower due to the conductivity of the trays but it works too.

Hope that will help you feel better.