gothic

Effexor

It worked for me though I had no prescription. Totally numbs you up and you feel kind of like a zombie but there's no anxiety. Can make you sick to your stomach if you dose too high. Also, don't immediately come off of it.

Hey Gothic,

Sorry to worry you. But I beg you, be careful with Effexor, ok? If you feel like you really need an antidepressant, get someone to monitor you. Keep in mind that even psychiatrists don't presume and prescribe antidepressants for themselves...they have someone else do it. You see, the effects (good or bad) are difficult to self-assess because it affects and changes your very judgement sometimes. I'm serious. Especially if you ocassionally may combine it with Vicodin and/or other substances. Some combos are totally deadly. Please be careful. :?

Hey Vicki,

I was just wondering if you take medication, and if so what works for you?

Hi Kellyblue,

Currently, I'm just on Vitamins (my diet isn't always ideal, though I try), a few antioxidant supplements and calcium.

I was on Effexor XR 75mg daily for almost 3 years but this was for depression. It actually runs in my father's side of the family. Then I was weaned off very slowly, over 2 months. This was after trying several other meds (Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac) and not doing well because of the side effects. What's strange is that although my mood was better, I blushed more easily. Initially, when I started on any antidepressant, the blushing would be decreased for the first couple of weeks but when I became used to it...the blushing would return -stronger. Zoloft especially caused a stronger blush and even a little sweating because I felt so warm all the time.

For "control" of blushing situations that I know in advance will be really difficult, I can take a propranolol 10mg (Inderal) tablet about an hour before the event (big meeting) or if I need "extra" help (huge presentation) clonidine 0.1mg tablet about 1/2 hr before the event. It helps calm me down, without clouding my brain function, unlike benzos (Ativan, Xanax, Librium, Halcion...etc)

Hope this helps!

Thank You Vicky,

I always love reading your posts. I can tell you care about people and that you enjoy helping others in need. Just curious, are the antioxidants supposed to help with blushing, or is that just for general health.

I hope everything is going well for you.

Kelly

Just curious, are the antioxidants supposed to help with blushing, or is that just for general health.

Aww, thanks for the kind words, Kelly! That's so nice of you! :D

I'll confess that initially, I began taking antioxidants when I turned 30, out of sheer VANITY! :oops:

Remember, when they were being advertised as the new "antiaging wonders"? Yup. I was there, buying them. Now, studies have shown that it's mostly all hype, but I find that they keep me feeling good! And that can't hurt, for sure! :wink:

Take care, Kelly!

so wait

is effexor bad?

Why would Effexor be "bad"? Sorry! Didn't mean to imply that! :oops:

Remember that most meds are very specific to each person. What works for someone else may not work for you or what the opposite, just because it works for someone else doesn't mean that it WILL work for you!

Effexor worked very well for me, while I took it for major Depression. My physician and I then decided to taper it off over a few months. This was to minimize any withdrawal effects as well as prevent a relapse of depression by stopping "cold turkey". Imo, the "side effects" or intolerances reported by most individuals with antidepressant (and antianxiety med) use is because they are started at too 'high' of a dose, used too sporadically (missing too many doses/forgetting to take it) or discontinued inappropriately or too abruptly.

For me, Effexor was very good -for depression. My blushing didn't improve or worsen THAT significantly. If I ever get another bout of depression later in life, this may be the med that I consider for treating it. In my case, the meds I've tried haven't really helped with the FB aspect. It doesn't guarantee that it will apply to you, though... :wink:

I started on it yesterday, and mainly for anxiety. 37.5mg

I find that my blushing has already been greatly reduced from the first pill. Way less nervous overall, and in "blushing" situations I'm finding my hands are just getting really sweaty insead... lol today I was joking about it and whiping them on my bfs pants. Eww! haha.

The doctor said that it will take 1-3 weeks for all the side effects (drowsyness, headache, nasea, sweaty hands are ones I'm experiencing) to completely go away. I'm totally fine with it because I do feel like my old self again, in ways I haven't felt in months. I'm amazed because I was also told it would take a week before I noticed anything...

For "control" of blushing situations that I know in advance will be really difficult, I can take a propranolol 10mg (Inderal) tablet about an hour before the event (big meeting) or if I need "extra" help (huge presentation) clonidine 0.1mg tablet about 1/2 hr before the event.

Hey VickyGirl, I know this is a really old post of yours, but are you still taking the beta blockers you mentioned above? If so, how much mg's and how often?

Hi people,

I was on Fluoxetine and my doctor changed to Venlift (Venlafaxine) 75mg.

From the first day I noticed a great result in my self-confidence and reduced the feeling of blush, but still occurs, too much less.

Now I reduced to 35.7mg and I still have great results with this dosage.

I think is a good 'new' drug to talk about with you doctor.