My new website

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here's a personal project I've been working on for the last few months. If you're interested in science, technology and the future of mankind then check it out. 8)

http://www.futuretimeline.net

It's updated on a regular basis, btw - I'm adding new stuff all the time. Most of the later sections are still blank, but there's tons of stuff for the earlier decades.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Posted · Report post

I think the idea behind the site is good...I believe however that predicting more than 20 years out in the future makes little sense...that is speculative science fiction for the most part...

I am sure that some predictions made more than 20 years ago weren't that bad.....but it's hard to predict that far out in the future and rarely anything is planned that many years ahead of time... and if it is ....it's gonna be changed hundreds of times.

However, 20 years out in the future...we can come up with some fairly good and relevant predictions...

Actually, there are certain trends which are very predictable, e.g. Moore's Law, which states that computer power is doubling every 2 years (this has been true since the 1960s). There are many similar long term trends, e.g. with medical equipment, scanning resolution, bandwidth, price performance, etc.

In most cases, it's exponential technological progress which is happening, rather than linear. This means the rate of progress tends to increase at a very sharp rate. See Law of Accelerating Returns.

"... An analysis of the history of technology shows that technological change is exponential, contrary to the common-sense 'intuitive linear' view. So we won't experience 100 years of progress in the 21st century—it will be more like 20,000 years of progress (at today's rate). The 'returns,' such as chip speed and cost-effectiveness, also increase exponentially. There's even exponential growth in the rate of exponential growth. Within a few decades, machine intelligence will surpass human intelligence, leading to the Singularity—technological change so rapid and profound it represents a rupture in the fabric of human history. The implications include the merger of biological and nonbiological intelligence, immortal software-based humans, and ultra-high levels of intelligence that expand outward in the universe at the speed of light."

-- Ray Kurzweil

Also, we can predict how the climate is likely to change using long term computer models.

Thanks for your comments anyway. :)

Posted · Report post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Europe

Here is something about the tallest buildings in Europe from Wikipedia..including buildings under construction...seems like much more tall skyscrapers are going to be constructed in Europe....unless the projects are ceased. I am not sure the Russian constructing enterprises have the financing anymore to complete these projects to be honest....so might be that half of these projects will never be finalised or not be built as tall as planned

Architecture happens to be a major passion of mine - especially skyscrapers. I'm one of the moderators for SkyscraperCity.com.

One of the projects I'm most excited about is the "Shard of Glass" being built in London. It will be over 300m tall, about the same height as the Eiffel Tower. Construction begun recently and it should be rising on the skyline about this time next year.

Here's the official website -

http://www.shardlondonbridge.com/

It will totally transform London's image. And yeah, I've seen those other projects you linked to.

8)

Posted · Report post

This is a very cool website. I could (and probably will) spend hours in there. it’s kind of fun to imagine the possibilities. Imagining the end of everything is kind of depressing though.