• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dezza

dezza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:05 AM

I tried oxybutynin for a while, and that made my body dry out - and it didn't really work for the sweating either.
I'll try the secure wipes first, then I might just go back to doing iontophoresis with tap water - sounds safer then using Robinul/Avert.

#2 idripswet

idripswet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:54 AM

My hyperhidrosis has gotten worse over the past 5 years. In the past I only had palmar hyperhidrosis, but now I have generalized. When it started spreading throughout my body, I tried Robinul and Ditropan, and both dried my body completely. The side effects kind of sucked, I was over heating, and my mouth was always dry. Over time, both of these drugs have lost their effectiveness so I have pretty much stopped using them. I am sure if I kept increasing the dosage, I would be able to dry my body, but the side effects would obviously be out of control.

#3 dezza

dezza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

Thanks again for your reply, I'll probably start with the secure wipes and go from there.

How did you find Robinul - was it helpful and did you get any side effects? If you don't mind me asking, were your prescribed it for hyperhidrosis?

#4 idripswet

idripswet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

I think you use both as needed. Robinul is a prescription drug so when I first started it my doctor said to use it three times daily. People sweat different amounts, so the number of dosages will differ.

I ordered secure wipes online, without a prescription. There are, I think, about 30 pads and each is used once. I used them in the morning, I don't think it is necessary to put it on overnight.

#5 dezza

dezza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Would you know how often the avert and the secure wipes have to be taken?

Are the secure wipes put on at night, like most hyperhidrosis topical treatment, and are they one use only?

#6 idripswet

idripswet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:59 PM

That's a good question, I assume that a stronger wipe would be more effective. I think that, no matter what, if you used Secure Wipes on your hands, some of the solution would penetrate the layers. Logically, that would mean that a stronger solution would be more effective.

A higher dosage of Avert definitely makes a difference (taken orally or used with iontophoresis).

#7 dezza

dezza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

I'd say my hands and feet have a moderate amount of sweating - but I saw that the Avert and the secure wipes come in various different strengths. Does this make a huge difference to their effectiveness, or are the wipes just as unlikely to penetrate through the skin.

Thanks for the reply by the way :)

#8 idripswet

idripswet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

If you take glycopyrrolate orally (Avert), you probably risk more side effects than you do when a glycopyrrolate solution is used through iontophoresis. Taken orally, it tends to dry the entire body. With ionophoresis, I think the action is more localized to your hands, and would probably be more effective at drying them out alone. You may still experience side effects (dry mouth and eyes), but probably not to the extent you would if you took Avert.

Secure wipes for hands would probably also be less effective than glycopyrrolate through iontophoresis. I think the glycopyrrolate solution on the Secure Wipes would have a more difficult time penetrating the layers of skin. Of course, this all depends on how badly your hands sweat: if they are mild or moderate, simply using Secure Wipes on your hands might work fine. Again, you still might notice side effects.

You could also pour the glycopyrrolate contents of Avert into your iontophoresis trays (if you own a machine), and obtain a similar effect that you see at the Hospital. I do this with Robinul (glycopyrrolate pills in the U.S.), but it can get pricey.

#9 dezza

dezza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently having iontophoresis with the glycopyrrolate solution done at a local hospital for my hand and feet hyperhidrosis, and so far it's the only thing which has drastically reduced the sweating.

However, the treatment only lasts a few weeks, and it's not possible to get the glycopyrrolate solution at home. So after this, the sweating will probably return again, which I would like to avoid at all costs if at all possible.

Since as other treatments haven't helped me, I saw that Secure Wipes, and Avert tablets from pharmacy.ca both contain glycopyrrolate.

I was wondering if anyone's had experience with using either of these for hand and foot sweating, and which one proves more effective for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users